November 21, 2007
Grateful to Whom, My Dear?!

My dad made some interesting points that I would like for you to think about.

"During this week, our President will issue the annual Thanksgiving proclamation. Our very secular government that almost chokes every time it says the word, 'God,' will suddenly project an air of piety and encourage us all to be thankful for at least this one day of the year.

"You see, Thanksgiving is an unusual holiday because it combines God and government and society. It is considered perfectly acceptable for everyone, regardless of religion, to be thankful on Thankgiving Day.

"However, you need to make sure that you are thankful to the right somebody. If we're going to say 'thank you' we must say 'thank you' to somebody. Make sure that it is the right somebody.

My dad then gave this illustration:

"Harriet Martineau was an atheist. One morning she and a friend stepped out into the glories of a beautiful fall morning. As she saw the brilliant sun peaking through the haze, and the frost on the meadow, and the brightly colored leaves making their way lazily to the ground, she was filled with the beauty and burst forth with 'I am so thankful. I'm just so grateful for it all.'

To this her Christian friend asked, 'Grateful to whom, my dear?'


***That's a good question at Thanksgiving. If you're grateful, if you're really thankful, then the next question would have to be, 'Grateful to whom?'






3 Comments:
Blogger doug had this to say:

Mother Nature Duh!! lol

9:38 AM 


Blogger Starr had this to say:

Love the new look! Cute.

8:07 PM 


Blogger Just Me had this to say:

Great reminder.

P.S. I love the new look!

7:24 AM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page







Laughter ♥ Sarcasm ♥ Love
Seems well-balanced to me... therefore I will not be taking a poll!

(more)




Hookers Catch Fish While Walking Their Ostiches!
On a Date.... A Perfect Evening!
Too Much Guitar Hero??
Achmed...The Dead Terrorist!
Field Trip
Because Sinead Always Made Me Ready For Christmas?!
Gas Prices Starting Your Month in the Negative!
I'm Late, I'm Late For A Very Important Date!
New Fall Haircut and Color!
Ghost or Goblin?!


















Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]