April 22, 2008
What makes a child up the 'ante' for more discipline?

Okay, so I rarely talk about L'il C needing to be disciplined* because quite frankly she is a very pleasant obedient kid. (I am not even being biased on this one. She is complimented often on her good behavior.) .... I will wait for those who need to go throw up......

However, over the last few weeks she is expressing a negative attitude through smart mouth and arguing when I ask her to do something.

I have always known this would happen because almost the day I turned 12 I became the biggest smart-mouth you will ever meet. I had no consistency in my discipline and it is now an ever present habit for me. I do not want this replicated in my child. (Shut up for all of you who want to tell me that I can choose to change as an adult..... I dare you to change an 18 year old habit.)

Therefore, consistency in discipline is something that is huge for me in raising L'il C.

Yesterday morning as we were eating breakfast together, and on a morning she was already very pleasant and obedient, we had this conversation:

"Sweetheart, I just want to thank you for being so obedient this morning. It really pleases mommy."

"You are welcome."

"I also want to let you know that since I am very aware of how well behaved and polite you can be, I intend for you to stay that way. (pause for acknowledgement) I have noticed a change in your attitude lately that I am not real pleased with and I intend to put a stop to it. (pause for acknowledgement) From now on anytime you argue with me, pout, or throw a fit when I ask you to do something, I will give you three spankings."

(reflecting what I have said) She then responds with, "How about 5?"

(stunned) "Sweetheart I think 3 is plenty. Are you sure you want to raise it to 5?"

"Yep. I know I can act better and I think if I don't act the way you want me to it should be 5 spankings not 3."

So, my child up'd the ante to 5 spankings instead of 3. It has been a full day and a half and no spankings have occurred. It has been wonderful.

**All child's rights activists, DHS, etc please exit this site. I believe the Bible when it says 'spare the rod, spoil the child'. I do not beat my child and I only spank on the bottom.***






1 Comments:
Blogger Amy had this to say:

So I would say I'm impressed...but didn't at one point you tell me that spankings don't really affect her? That to be more effective giving her a time-out would be better? What if she knows this so she doesn't mind getting the spankings b/c she knows they don't hurt? :)

She's smart, in any case.

10:57 AM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page







Laughter ♥ Sarcasm ♥ Love
Seems well-balanced to me... therefore I will not be taking a poll!

(more)




Define Maybe
Whew! I am safe a while longer!
Jesus vs. Medication
A Bargain I Couldn't Refuse
Blogger Blogger, Where art thou??
The Sweetest Picnic
Happy Birthday Dearest Fiance'!
Time Management
Boogers!
April Fool's Day


















Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]