May 28, 2008
Memorial Weekend

I love holidays! That extra day off is nice. It helps even more that L'il C's last day of school was last Friday and most of last week was field trips and play days. :) I got to be at those! It was nice.

Sunday afternoon we (Mr. C, me, L'il C, Mr. C's little sister, and my dad) thought it would be fun to go camping that night after church and go 4-wheelin' Monday. So after lunch we headed out to the ranch to set up our tents. It was very hot. The ground was very hard and my stakes wouldn't hardly go in. I had forgotten my hammer so I did the best I could. I didn't really care all that much since we would be in them and it wasn't windy.

After church we played volleyball with the youth/young adults and ate pizza. After we cleaned up we headed out to the ranch. The weather had cooled off quite a bit and it felt perfect. We put the girls to bed at 11:00 and we ended up parting ways at 12:30 to head to our tents and go to sleep as well.

Holy Cow! At 2:15 that morning I hear the wind whipping and rattling my rain cover on my tent. It had pulled it loose. I hear Mr. C talking to his sister in their tent and I got up. I had him put our lawn chairs inside their bigger tent so they wouldn't blow away. I packed all of my stuff back in my bag so that it would not get wet should it start to rain and I would have it altogether in my tent. I tried to lie back down and go back to sleep. At 2:30...... torrential down pour.

I see a flashlight glowing through my tent. My dad had come out of the 5th wheel (more comfy than a tent) and was hollering at us to run to the rock barn (50 feet behind our tents). I grabbed my bag and purse and put L'il C on my back. I opened the tent and out I go. "M-o-m!" A huge chunk of her hair had caught in the zipper. Back in we go. As I fidget with getting her hair untangled water is coming all inside the tent. I finally get it unhooked and we ran to the barn. The girls are freezing and we are trying to come up with a plan. We weren't afraid of rain while being in the tents (well the girls were) but we had come about 2 miles back into the property and to get out we had to cross a low water dam. Dad was afraid that this would be uncrossable by the time we would be ready to leave so he suggested we head to his house back in town.

I ran back to my tent to push my blankets back to the back in case more water got in so they wouldn't get wet. Running back out..... I catch my hair in the zipper! Ugh. Rain Rain Raining all in my tent and all over me.

We all finally get in our cars (each in our own so we had enough room to haul the stuff there in the first place) and headed out. I called mom and told her we were going to be there shortly for a slumber party.

L'il C was okay until she realized she had left her Webkinz in the tent. Thinking she had already thought the worst I told her they would be fine. If they got wet, we could dry them. And if they blew away we could buy more. She had NOT thought the worst and started crying because she didn't want them to blow away! ....... oops!

All in all everything turned out okay. We went back out there about 2:00 the next afternoon. The low water dam was indeed flooded and we had to drive very carefully to get back across to load up our tents. Three of my stakes had pulled out so all of the water had soaked all of my blankets...the Webkinz, however were dry! L'il C was relieved.

Mr. C's parents came over that evening and we grilled hamburgers and hotdogs. Mr. C and his dad planted a garden in the back. It looks good. I can't wait until we have fresh produce. Mr. C also bought some flowers to plant around the fountain. They really worked hard but they enjoyed doing it! The girls played in the backyard and his mom and I were able to visit for a while.

We didn't end up getting to spend the day as we had planned but it was fun memories!

"Remember that Memorial Day weekend we went to camp out and we ended up soaked at 3:00 in the morning and had a slumber party at Grandma and PawPaw's house?!"






1 Comments:
Blogger Amy had this to say:

Sounds like quite an experience. Did you guys even check the weather forecast before you went out there? :)

6:16 AM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page







Laughter ♥ Sarcasm ♥ Love
Seems well-balanced to me... therefore I will not be taking a poll!

(more)




Solo?
Mother's Day
New Money Coming Soon!!
Eischen's -Thank you Holli!
Happy One Year Anniversary!
My Body is Perfect!
What makes a child up the 'ante' for more discipline?
Define Maybe
Whew! I am safe a while longer!
Jesus vs. Medication


















Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]